1. In consultation with a statewide private entity that supervises interscholastic activities (The Arizona Interscholastic Association) Guidelines, Information and Forms must be developed to inform and educate Coaches, Pupils, and Parents of the dangers of concussions and head injuries, and the risks of continued participation in athletic activity after a concussion.
2. Before a Pupil participates in an athletic activity, the Pupil and Pupil’s parents must sign an Information Form at least once each school year that states that the Parent is aware of the nature and risk of a concussion and head injury.
3. Policies and Procedures shall require that a Pupil who is suspected of sustaining a concussion or head injury in a practice session, game, or other interscholastic activity be immediately removed from the athletic activity.
4. A Team Athlete, Team Coach, Official, Licensed Health Care Provider, Team Volunteer, or Team Parent may remove an athlete from play.
5. A Pupil may return to play the same day if a Health Care Provider rules out a suspected concussion at the time the Pupil is removed from play.
6. On a subsequent day, the Pupil may return to play if the Pupil has been evaluated by and received Written Clearance to résumé participation in athletic activity from a Health Care Provider who has been trained in the evaluation and management of concussion and head injuries.
7. Health Care Providers include:
- A Physician licensed pursuant to Title 32, Chapters 13 or 17.
- An Athletic Trainer licensed pursuant to Title 32, Chapter 41
- A Nurse Practitioner licensed pursuant to Title 32, Chapter 15
- A Physician Assistant licensed pursuant to Title 32, Chapter 25.
A HEALTH CARE PROVIDER WHO IS A VOLENTEER AND WHO PROVIDES WRITTEN CLEARENCE TO PARTICIPATE IN ATHLETIC ACTIVITY IS IMMUNE FROM CIVIL LIABILITY WITH RESPECT TO ALL DECISIONS MADE AND ACTIONS TAKEN THAT ARE BASED ON GOOD FAITH IMPLEMENTATION OF THE REQUIRMENTS OF THIS SUBDIVISION, EXCEPT IN CASES OF GROSS NEGLIGENCE OR WANTON OR WILFUL NEGLECT.
8. Provision of Water
As part of the Concussion Legislation requiring prescribed and enforced policies and procedures related to the health and safety of all pupils—the provision of water is specifically required.
9. THIS SUBDIVISION (LAW) DOES NOT APPLY TO:
- Teams that are based in another state that participate in an athletic activity in this state.
- Athletic Activity does not include Dance, Rhythmic Gymnastics, Competitions, or Exhibitions of Academic Skills or Knowledge or other similar forms of physical non-contact activities, Civic Activities or Academic Activities, whether engaged in for the purposes of competition or recreation.